The New Year took off like a rocket ship! It doesn’t always happen that way. Sometimes I clearly envision my destination for the year to come. I enjoy setting focus for it. But then, something in the first month starts me off with a sputter and splat! I fall on my face…..and sometimes take awhile to get back up!
Not this year!
What I mean is, this year I didn’t stay down. I did, however, start with a sputter, but I recovered quickly by moving into action. And the action led to the rocket boost!
On New Year’s Eve, I started getting sick. I lost my voice, and by week’s end, it moved into my chest. I could have used that as an excuse to claim the beginning of the year a wash. But I didn’t.
Instead, I took action.
In the first days of the year, I hired a coach to help me manifest my year. I showed up for the session with little voice, a lotta cough, and a bit of self-doubt about spending money for a service from someone else that I provide for others all the time.
But, that is the beauty of working with life coaches! They can see around corners you don’t know are there, or perhaps you do know and have tried to look around them but never could get the right angle. The session was just what I needed to help in setting focus for 2017.
On the call, several of the blocks I knew that had been standing in my way began to dissolve. I could feel Possibility taking root and Probability taking flight. Four days later, I had taken a huge step towards a big dream of mine for Creativity Tribe. (I will share more about that next week. I can’t wait to let you in on my HUGE secret!)
Tips for Setting Focus
- Brainstorm what you want to achieve in the coming month, season, or year. Mind maps are my favorite way to do this!
- Tap into your inner guidance for where to send your attention. Ask yourself…What feels ripe for sharing with the world?
- Choose three projects to focus on. If one of the projects is huge, break that down into smaller projects. This helps you from feeling overwhelmed and keeps the step ahead of you manageable.
- Name your projects something clever, 1-4 words. (Eg. Body Wisdom Project, Project Mula Hussle, Stretch4It, Morning Marvelous, Take Five)
- Make a sign for each project to help with setting focus on a daily basis. Post it where you are most likely to see it. Your bathroom mirror, the space where you work, or maybe your kitchen.
- Ask yourself…What’s the next right thing for this project? Write down a few steps. Then do it!
- Celebrate each project you complete.
What is your Focus?
I would LOVE to hear what you are setting focus on for 2017. Do you have a project that your heart is singing about? Do you have a fun name for it? Let me know in the comments.